Can you add a mechanic for separation and movement of tectonic plates somehow?
A Little World Generator
A downloadable world generator for Windows
This is a little world generator that makes a map based on what you draw.
- Run little_world_generator.exe
- Draw on the planet's core.
- Press space to start the simulation.
- Left Click - Draw rock onto the planet's core
- F - Fill in a section of the drawing
- Space bar - Start or stop plate simulation
- Right Click - Drag map around
- Scroll Wheel - Zoom in and out
- Ctrl + 1 - New little world
- Ctrl + 2 - New large world
- Ctrl + 3 - New XL world
- Esc - Restart (This clears everything)
- S - Save an image of the map (This can be used with overlays)
- Q - Toggle geographic map overlay
- W - Toggle water overlay
- H - Toggle Height overlay
- T - Toggle temperature overlay
- B - Toggle biome overlay
- P - Toggle depixelization filter
- X - Toggle clouds
- Z - Toggle equator line.
- E - Erode a hill
- N - Smooth out terrain
- R - Spawn a river
- A - Crash an asteroid
- F - Plant a forest
- D - Make a desert
- M - Build up mountains (Use this with E for more realistic terrain)
- C - Create a happy little cloud
- O - Save a map file so you can load it later to continue editing.
- L - Load a saved map file
- T + Scroll Wheel - Adjust global temperature
- W + Scroll Wheel - Adjust sea level
- Ctrl + F - Rerun vegetation simulation
- Ctrl + D - Clear all vegetation
- Z + Scroll Wheel - Adjust global temperature variation. I.E. difference in temperature between equator and poles
- Z + Left Click - Move seasonal equator. The warmest latitude will be where you place your cursor.
Note: Some users have had trouble with saving files. If you cannot find a file you saved, it may have been saved in the default directory located at C:\Users(your user name)\AppData\Local\procgen
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Detailed tectonic simulation like that isn't really in the scope of this project. It's more for making quick worlds from drawings. However, I've found that Tectonics.js works really well with heightmaps exported from little world generator. You can save a heightmap by pressing H and then S, and import it into tectonics.js to run continental drift simulations.
Is there any possibility for this to be released for Mac? I can use WINE but it'd be easier...
EDIT: Wine seems to not work, encountering a "serious error"
This is such an amazing tool! I hope you keep developing it.
if you add the ability to stop the simulation it would cool.
Hi, in the latest version you can now press space bar again to pause the simulation :)
amazing generator, but the image saving does not seem to be working
Sorry you're having trouble with the save functions. Have you tried running as an administrator, or making sure your antivirus isn't blocking the program? I've had a couple of other people mention this problem but I haven't been able to replicate it on my end yet.
EDIT: Try looking for your save file in C:\Users(your user name)\AppData\Local\procgen. That has worked for some people.